Protect Your Identity
Help! I think my identity has been stolen!
- Place a fraud alert with the credit reporting bureaus
- Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
- Experian: 1-888-397-3742
- TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289
- Click here to view a copy of the FTC’s Taking Charge checklist to learn what to do if you suspect identity theft
- Visit ftc.gov/idtheft to access the FTC’s Identity Theft Resources website
Avoid ID Theft: Deter, Detect, Defend.
The Federal Trade Commission (ftc.gov) provides useful information about various aspects of identity theft on their web site such as:
- What identity theft means & how it can occur
- How to find out if your identity was stolen
- What to do if your identity is stolen
- How to protect yourself from identity theft
- How to file a complaint with the FTC
Visit the FTC’s Website to learn more.
Protect Your Identity
Identity theft can cause more headache than you may realize. In fact, it can make it hard for you to put utilities in your name, get a job, rent an apartment, and more! It’s never too late to change your habits to protect yourself from identity theft. Learn more at consumer.gov, a website sponsored by the Federal Trade Commission.
- Keep your financial records, Social Security and Medicare cards in a safe place
- Shred papers and solicitations that have your account number, personal, or medical information listed
- Take mail out of your mailbox as soon as you can
- Only give your Social Security Number if you must, ask if you can use another kind of identification
- Never give your financial or personal information to someone who calls or emails you
- Watch your bills and account statements for transactions that were not done by you
Some other good resources related to Fraud and ID Theft
- IC3 partners with the FBI and NW3C (National White Collar Crime Center) to allow online complaint/investigation
- AARP Scam/Fraud page also has lots of helpful resources
- AARP Scam-Fraud Page
- Mastercard provides U.S. cardholders with services to help detect and resolve identity theft at no extra cost.
- Visit Mastercard for more information
A bank with family values! We have been locally owned and managed since 1868. NVB has been serving the needs of northwest Missouri’s citizens for a century and a half. Click Here to inquire about a Home Loans in St. Joseph MO.